The Fund is dedicated to supporting undergraduate and graduate students in Prehistory and Early History, Provincial Roman History, Prehistory and Natural History, Classical Archaeology, and Modern General History.
Dr. Daniel Schuhmann (1982-2016), an archaeologist who sadly passed away at the age of 34, was a bridge builder between archaeology and computer science since the beginning of his studies at the University of Basel.
After completing his studies in 2007 with the thesis "Digital modeling and layer reconstructions of the Paleolithic site Hummal, Syria." he received his PhD in 2013 from the University of Basel, Institute of Prehistoric and Natural History Archaeology, with the thesis "ElKowmGIS: A new system for documenting archaeological sites." Speakers: Prof. Dr. J.-M. Le Tensorer, Prof. Dr. N. J. Conard (Tübingen)
Throughout his student and professional activities at the University of Basel and in the Department of Archaeology & Research, Archives, Roman City of Augusta Raurica, it has always been his ambition to be multidisciplinary.
In 2017, his father Dipl.-Ing. Hugo Schuhmann, together with Prof. Peter A. Schwarz, established the Dr. Daniel Schuhmann Fund, in accordance with his last will.
- Support for students and doctoral students of Prehistory and Early History, Provincial Roman Archaeology, Prehistoric and Natural History, Classical Archaeology, and Modern General History who come from Syria or other Middle Eastern countries.
- Parity subsidy for field trips involving undergraduate and graduate students in the departments of Prehistoric and Provincial Roman Archaeology, Prehistoric and Natural History Archaeology, Classical Archaeology, and Modern General History.
- The members of the Fund Commission are:
Dipl.-Ing. Hugo Schuhmann (as executor of the wish of Dr. Daniel Schuhmann)
lic. phil. Frank Faessler (as head of the Department of Ancient Civilizations)
lic. phil. Sandra Ammann (as representative of the Roman city of Augusta Raurica)
Prof. Dr. Peter-A. Schwarz (as holder of the Vindonissa Professorship)
- Applications should be submitted in written formand as a PDF file to Dipl.-Ing. Hugo Schuhmann, the President of the Dr. Daniel Schuhmann Fund, or to Prof. Dr. Peter-A. Schwarz as representative.
Applications should include the following information:
- Curriculum vitae with current passport photograph
- study plan
- Two written references or letters of recommendation
- Budget and financing plan
- Information about already awarded funds and about pending applications for funding.
- The period between the submission of the application and the decision of the fund commission is a maximum of six months.
- Support from the Dr. Daniel Schuhmann Fund must be indicated in the imprint of the corresponding publication as follows: "Published with the support of the Dr. Daniel Schuhmann Fund at the University of Basel".
- Upon completion of the project, the grantee must send the library of the Dr. Daniel Schuhmann Fund two unsolicited copies of the publication in question.
- 2019: University of Basel, Egyptology, Classical Archaeology and Ancient Near Eastern Studies
Prof. Dr. Martin A. Guggisberg - Support for the 2019 Iran Excursion.
- 2019: University of Basel, Prehistory and Early History and Provincial Roman Archaeology
Prof. Dr. Peter-A. Schwarz - support of the High Rhine-Limes excursion 2019
- 2020: University of Basel, Prehistoric and Early Historic and Provincial Roman Archaeology
Prof. Dr. Peter-A. Schwarz - Excursion Selected Sites in the provinicia Germania Inferior (HS 2020)